20 Aug PGD process and gender selection
Did you know that at PGD Labs Kuwait’s Genetics Medical Laboratory, we give you the possibility to choose the gender of your baby? Preimplantation genetic testing (known before as PGD) is performed on embryos during the IVF treatment and allows us to detect the chromosomal gender of embryos (XX or XY) before they are implanted in the womb.
In which cases are PGD and gender selection recommendable?
From PGD Labs we recommend this technique in the following cases or situations:
- Medical reasons. To prevent a gender-related genetic disorders. Furthermore, this test allows us to find aneuploidies related to sex-chromosomes such as monosomy X (Turner syndrome) and trisomy XXY (Klinefelter syndrome).
- Couples who are looking for family balancing.
Steps for gender selection in PGD Labs
- A cycle of in-vitro fertilization is required to obtain embryos. The cycle is performed at a fertility unit.
- Embryo biopsy: It is carried out on the third day of embryo development and consists of removing once cell from the whole embryo, without interfering with its normal development.
- At this stage, the genetic diagnosis is performed. PGDLabs team of biologists processes the obtained cell for genetic testing. The test is performed by using the FISH technique, which allows us to determine the sex-chromosomal dotation of the embryo.
- The embryo is transferred. The results of the genetic test are sent to the fertility unit, and the normal embryos of the desired chromosomal gender are transferred.
Do you have more questions about PGD and gender selection? Contact PGDLabs
The PGD Labs team is at your entire disposition to solve all your questions and give you more information about PGD and gender selection. If you want to contact us, our telephone number is +965 969 38 400 o you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be in contact with you soon.